Monday, March 21, 2011

Dennis Juhasz


Starting with my Father’s (Dennis) side, my grandfather Stephen Juhasz was born in the United States from Ukrainian parents who came to America in the early 1900’s. A predominantly Hungarian surname (Juhasz), my ancestors lived in Ukraine for a number of years before immigrating to the United States. During this time, there was an Inter-war between Poland and Ukraine, as many of the residents of both countries tried to find a way to escape the hostilities. America seemed like a perfect place to succeed, being a newly developing country with freedom as its leading drive behind its growth. This led to the growing up of my grandfather Stephen and his marriage to my grandmother Ethel. An Irish immigrant, her parents came over during the mass emigration from Ireland to Ellis Island like many Irish during the early 1900’s. After a traditional Ukrainian marriage my father was born and eventually married my mother Deanna.















My mother’s side of the family (the Flynn's) started in Southern Italy and came by ship to America, settling in Connecticut instead of the more traditional New York/New Jersey where a large portion of Italian immigrants chose to live. This side of my family I know much less, and I assume this side of my heritage came from one of the many economically depressed cities of rural Italy like the majority of Italian immigrants. I believe they settled in the New Haven area and gave birth to my mother, Deanna, where they continued to live up until today. My Italian heritage grandparents (Elaine and Edward "Grumpa" Flynn) are still happily married and reside in East Haven.


















This is but a glimpse into my heritage:  ½ Italian, ¼ Ukrainian and ¼ Irish.

11 comments:

  1. Its amazing to keep learning about different people from different countries all coming to the United States for freedom. I never think of the Ukraines as a people who came to the United States in the early 1900s, I usually just think of the Irish or Italians, but eastern Europe was represented too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting to find out about your Irish and Ukrainian heritage because previously I only knew that you were Italian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that you are Ukraine is cool. I also didn't realize they came over so early so it's cool to know that they did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really cool to learn about your Ukraine heritage because I haven't heard a lot of people talk about having that heritage before. It was fun to learn about something different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting learning about the Polish and Ukrainian war and how your family came here for freedom. So many of us forget that various freedoms was the reason so many came to America from other countries. This is the one thing all of our ancestors have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it interesting how you call your grandfather Grumpa because he is grumpy. That's some lulzy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting that the Italian side of your family settled in Connecticut rather than New York. It would be interesting to find out what made them decide to live in Connecticut instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is very cool that you have a Ukrainian heritage because I don't really heart that very often. I also found it very interesting that your Italian family members settled in Connecticut since it isn't one of the heaviest areas for italians, such as the New Jersey, New York, and even the North End of Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it interesting where you think most of the immigrants marry within heritage roots, like Irish marry Irish and Italians marry Italians. However in Dennis's family's history, his great grandfather married an Irish woman. Definitely helps illustrate the mixture of cultures in America!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it interesting that your Ukrainian because you do not hear about Ukrainian immigrants very frequently. It was also cool how your Italian family settled in Connecticut and stayed here because back in the 1900s New Haven and East Haven were completely filled with Italians, but now they have all mainly left, so it's cool to see how some have stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found it interesting that you how you talked about your Italian relatives settling in CT because like you said I feel like that is very rare. It is cool that they are still there today and you are still in the area.

    ReplyDelete