Sunday, March 20, 2011

Melissa Gorman

I am fifty percent Irish and fifty percent Italian. My father is completely Irish from both of his parents and ancestors, while my mom is Italian from both of her parents. My Mother's mother's father was from Calabria, Italy and came to America, specifically New York City, in 1923 when he was 23 years old. My great-grandfather was an entrepreneur. First, he opened a nurse's registry where he would find nurse's jobs, and get twenty percent of the profit. Next, he had an oxygen ambulance service where he sold his services to others. Then, he owned a furniture stores. Finally, he bought a few properties in the Bronx which my Nana and great aunt's still own today. He had a lot of businesses and enjoyed trying out various opportunities. He loved to read and even did my Nana's birth certificate himself. He later helped to build the house in Riverdale, New York that my mom, aunt and uncle grew up in and my Nana still lives in today. My Nana's mother was Russian and Jewish. However, because races or religions didn't usually mix in marriage at that time, my family decided not to recognize her heritage or religion and only practice Italian and Catholic traditions. My Mother's father's parents both came from Naples, Italy and they both came to America when they were 12 years old. My great-grandfather was wealthy in Italy with lots of land and horses, but his life changed drastically when he came to America. He had much less fortune and was a piano tuner and later refurnished furniture. My great-grandmother died very young, when my grandfather was only 12. So my great-grandfather had to raise his nine children himself, but the elder children took a lot of responsibilities. The family always came together for Sunday dinner. It would be a large, extravagant meal with the fine china and many courses.
Both of my great-great-grandparents on my father's side came from County Cork, Ireland. None of them came through Ellis Island and my grandfather believes they came over around the 1890's or even before to New York City. In Tataki, it is heavily described how the Irish were discriminated against during this time, even though, I have no knowledge of my ancestors being prejudiced against because they were Irish. My Nana's grandfather was a steel worker in New York City and her grandmother died in 1867, when she was forty from childbirth. While, my Papa's grandmother died in 1932 at age 65. My father's parents knew less about their grandparent's because it was so long ago, and they all died at young ages. It was a little more difficult to find out information because they came to American a generation before my mother's side of the family. However, every St. Patrick's day my Nana still makes homemade Irish soda bread, with the original recipe that came from County Cork. Even though all my ancestors came to America many years ago there are still traditions that my family still tries to keep to remind us of our ancestry.
County Cork, Ireland
Calabria, Italy
Naples, Italy


6 comments:

  1. I loved the pictures included of where her family is from. I just put maps but not actual pictures of the country. They are all beautiful but probably a lot different looking than when her great grandparents lived there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, liek Dianna, thought that the pictures were also a great touch to the blog. Very colorful and brings the presentation together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting how they choose not to recognize your great grandmother's religion because they didn't mix at that point. I am sure there are so many other people out there that this happened to also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was talking to my grandmother who is Irish about Cork and she said its a major city over there (which I never knew). Its intersting that so much of your family comes from there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it was very interesting that they ignored your Nana's heritage and religion since only Italian and Catholicism were practice at the time. I also think its really cool that they were have all the family come together for dinners once a week because my great-grandparents always used to do that with my family when I was still a baby because it was a tradition when they were growing up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was interesting how your grandfather went from opening a nurses registry to owning an oxygen ambulance service to a furniture store. It seems as though he was very successful and was lucky to have had so many jobs. However, it seems like an odd collection of jobs!

    ReplyDelete