Monday, March 21, 2011

Kira Oppici


When asking my family about my heritage I learned some information that I had never known about. First, I spoke to my father’s side. My grandfather, Brian R. Oppici, was born in Jersey City. Which is where both his parents were also born. My grandfather’s grandfather however (my great-great grandfather), Anthony Oppici, was born in Boca, Italy and met my great-great grandmother, Anne, when he immigrated to Jersey City. My grandfather’s mother’s story really intrigued me. My great grandmother came over on a boat with her mother from Wicklow, Ireland. My great-great grandfather had came over through Ellis Island years before and had to send over money in order to send his wife and children. My great-great grandmother then had to come over with her 17 children on a small rowboat all the way to Ellis Island from Ireland. To this day there is still a picture of her and her children up in the Ellis Island museum. 


My dad’s mother, Patricia Oppici, was also from Jersey City. I found out that both of my great grandparents on her side were from New Jersey. Her father was from Weehawken and her mother was from Jersey City as well. Her grandfather on her mother’s side, Fred Hansen, was originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. However, her grandfather on her father’s side was from Italy. Her grandfather, William Rice, was originally William Riccio. He changed his name after being in the US and not being able to find a job due to discrimination against the Italians at the time. 


My mother’s side does not have such an in-depth knowledge on their history but I was able to find out some information. While both of my grandparents were born in New Jersey all four of my great grandparents on my mother’s side were born oversees. My great grandparents on my grandmother’s side were both born in Holland. My great grandparents on my grandfather’s side were born in Denmark and Scotland and than met after coming to the United States.






9 comments:

  1. It is so cool that there is a picture of Kira's great-great grandmother and her 17 children still hanging in Ellis Island. Such an amazing story how she came over from Ireland in a small boat. It must have been such a hard trip, but so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very interesting to find out that your great-great grandmother came over on a small rowboat from Ireland to Ellis Island. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting how your great grandfather had to change his last name in order to find work because of discrimination. It was also really cool to hear about your great great grandmother coming over to Ellis Island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story of your great-great grandmother coming over from Ireland on a boat with her 17 children is such an incredible story. I also found it unique that so much of your family came from Jersey City.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty cool that your great-great grandma is in the Ellis Island hall of fame. That's actually a pretty awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I found very interesting was that William Riccio had to change his last name to rice due to italian discrimination. I never really knew that this was such a big issue that people had to change their names to avoid seeming italian during those times. I also find the story about your great-grandmother very interesting and really cool that her and her 17 children are in a picture in Ellis Island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find it interesting when families come through Ellis Island. Its awesome to thing, "yes! my family was histroy when they came here!" I dont know its neat to think that when they came here how many decades ago they had no idea they were making history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awesome that your heritage includes Holland, Denmark, and Scotland. I feel like these smaller European countries aren't represented enough by those sharing their heritage with these countries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think thats amazing that your great-great grandmother was able to make it all the way over from Ireland in just a small rowboat! That's so cool that there is a picture of it at Ellis Island!

    ReplyDelete