Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lauren Salgado


On my Mothers side of the family I am Aztec and Hispanic. My great grandmother grew up in Tepic, Mexico. She later immigrated to Arizona in 1939. She left her 10 brothers and sisters to come to America for a better lifestyle. My great grandfather was born in Jalisco, Mexico. He later moved to Arizona where he met my great grandmother and they got married. My grandmother was born in Los Angeles California, 1942. My grandfather was born in 1943 in Texas, he eventually moved to Los Angeles in 1950, where he met my grandmother.

 



On my Fathers side of the family I am Mexican and Aztec also. My great grandfather on my grandpa’s side was born in 1918 in Mexico. My great grandmother was born in 1917 also in Mexico. On my grandmothers side my great grandfather was born in 1915 in Guadalajara, Mexico. My great grandmother was born in 1916 in Guadalajara, Mexico also. Both great grandparents on both sides moved to the United States in the late 1920s. My grandmother was born in Los Angeles in 1935, and my grandfather was born in Colorado Springs, 1935. Both families came to the United States in search of a better lifestyle for their children.



- Los Angeles





5 comments:

  1. I found it interesting how your ancestors made their way up from Central America into North America and how they came to settle in the United States. I feel we don't talk about the immigration of South and Central Americans of the past (1800's and early 1900's) and focus too much on their immigration today and the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it really interesting that you are partially Aztec. Have your heard of the Florentine Codex, which was a history of the Aztecs put together by Spaniards in the 1500s?

    It is am amazing piece of literature that deals with sacrifices to childbirth: http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/florentine-codex.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it really interesting how your family immigrated from Mexico. I feel like all we hear is negative annotation about it because of illegal immigrants that we forget to talk about people who immigrated legally in search for better lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's really interesting that you are Aztec. I feel like that is a rare thing to hear of people being and the fact that you have that background on both your mother and father's sides is really cool!

    ReplyDelete